External Services Hosted in the Town Hall
High Peak Borough Council Planning Applications for the New Mills area can be viewed during office hours without appointment.
Registrar - Derbyshire County Council
Mon, Tues, Thurs ,Fri 9am - 12.30pm & 1.00pm - 4.00pm
Appointments for Births and Deaths ring 01457 852425 all other appointments ring 01663 743424
Citizens Advice Bureau
Drop in sessions Tuesdays 10 am – 2 pm.
Other times by appointment. Helpline 08444 111 308 (5 days a week)
Town Hall History
Town Hall - 1871
The idea of building a public hall by subscription was first suggested in 1859, when the Mechanics' Institute needed more space, but it was twelve years before enough money was raised to buy the land and start work. The hall was opened by the Duke of Devon shire on 9th September 1871 and cost 2,568 16s 10d
It was used for public or private balls, dinners, concerts, entertainment, exhibitions, religious, social and political meetings, for county and sessional courts, library and reading rooms used by the Mechanics' Institution, Savings Bank (open on Saturdays only), Local Board offices, and the branch offices of the clerk to the magistrates and registrar of the county court.'
In 1875 the tower was added and the clock and chimes presented by Mrs Ingham of Watford Lodge. In 1895 the hall was transferred to the New Mills Urban District Council, and it was first described as the Town Hall in the minutes of 5 October 1898. In 1899 a free library was opened in an extension of the town hall. This soon proved too small and the present public library was built in 1909-10.
The chimes were replaced in 1939 by a new set, the gift of Councillor G Broome-Coope. Throughout its life, besides carrying out the administrative functions of the town council, the town hall has served the purpose its providers intended. Recent uses include dances, quizzes, dog and flower shows, public meetings, blood transfusions, concerts, coronation and jubilee celebrations, exhibitions, receptions, bazaars and school fairs.
Since the building belongs to the town council, many voluntary bodies can use at a reduced charge; other events bring in welcome regular income. Today, besides the council chamber and town clerks' offices, rooms are used for the Registrar of Births, Marriages and Deaths and the Citizen's Advice Bureau hold regular surgeries. Recently the Council Chamber has been refurbished and has been licenced to hold Marriages and Civil Partnershps. Some of the archives of the heritage centre and local history society are stored here. In 1991, as part of the New Mills 600 celebrations, floodlighting was installed, and in 1994, following extensive roof repairs, the main hall was redecorated and the seating recovered, adding to its attractiveness as a venue.
Town Hall Clock - 1875
Hand wound clocks of this type are now rare, most having been converted to electric. The dial on the mechanism gives a reversed image of the minute fingers position on the clock face, important when altering the fingers, or winding the clock.
The functions of the clock are divided into three. 1. Movement of the fingers 2. Chiming the hours 3. Quarter chimes Each function is wound separately by applying the handle and winding the steel cable onto the drum.